05 March 2014

what the fuss

A thing was inside of me, but it's now out, and I'm not so sure what the fuss was about. It was a tooth fragment, that had been left in, then pushed to the surface right under the skin, by forces within me beyond my control, the same ones that tug at and shelter the soul. The doc was a good one, he made a small slit, through which but the root and his pliers could fit, with minimal tugging and not too much strain, he quelled my discomfort and lessened my pain. He pulled out the fragment, with a steady hand, then told me a bad joke – the best in the land – then vanished while my mouth got swollen and bled, then came back to help me get up from the bed. It's all out, he told me, with confidence vast, the proof of which lay in his completed task, Don't brush it too harshly or sip drinks too warm, and thanks for behaving in such model form. Thank you for your efforts, for fixing me right, I said to him with an obvious delight, and fled from the premises swift as I could, back home to my great roaring fires of wood.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment