29 July 2014

handful of chores

Now far from my native and beloved shores I've taken on merely a handful of chores. One is still the writing that you're reading here, that I have been doing for these many years, the others are surfing and making new friends, plus yoga and and drinking beer now and again. I'm learning the languages people speak here and facing a lot of my deep and old fears by going straight at them, taking them head-on, calmly celebrating the battles I've won. In truth I am feeling here Happy again, surrounded by Balinese women and men, whose honor is profound, whose traditions long, whose power is simmering, present, and strong, who fear neither plenty nor hard poverty, who all seem to welcome and smile at me. Therefore I will bend to my few chosen tasks, I'll let down most of my sheltering masks, and drink of the magical ambrosia that's everywhere here in fine Indonesia.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment