11 October 2013

on hunting graff

Oh how I miss hunting graffiti! How I wish to have the wind in my hair and a blunt in my teeth, to be hurtling through the flashing voids on a trusty velocipede in search of street art, my elusive and mysterious quarry. Oh – and oh! – to apply my whorphans as I diligently photograph and thereby preserve the wonderful phenomenon of urban art wherever it should arise, and to rejoice in its chaotic meritocracy, actions that are among my favorite things to do. It matters little in which city I do it, for every metropolis has its own flavor and rhythm of street art, its players major and minor, its hot spots and dead-zones, its tenors and vibes, colors and styles. Finding a piece I have never seen before or discovering a work of art that within hours could be painted over by a city technician evokes within me emotions best described as joyful. Another piece of this riotous, fleeting beauty has been preserved (!!), and once uploaded it will bring smiles to faces from Capetown to Seoul, Tashkent to Los Angeles, Auckland to Murmansk. I recognize the collection and display of graffiti as among my greatest missions in life, and while I do not know where it will take me, I sure am loving the ride. Huzzah.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment