25 November 2014

poised to escape

There's one thing I'm proud of, it's not joke nor jape – I am always ready and poised to escape. My things can be packed up in an hour flat, my wallet is stuffed with cash, brimming and fat, my ties to surroundings I can as soon shed as a snake that twists out of skins dry and dead. I can walk ten miles or jog without lag while carrying both of my traveling bags, and leap over rivers and speak many tongues, and mingle with peoples old foreign and young. I'll sleep under bridges or on the bare ground, I'm friends with most beasts ant owl kitten and hound, I know to stay hydrated when things get hot or layer on extra clothes when they are not. These things I have learned from a life spent afoot, spent walking the alleys, feet covered in soot, and smudged up and dirty and bleeding and cut, from clambering out of innumerable ruts. Some say I'm not grounded, that I am aloof; I answer with jolly-good oh-yeah forsooth, then pick up my hiking stick and my backpack and walk away from them without looking back. AKM – Alpha Kilo Michael – Always Keep Moving.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment