01 March 2017

on cutting hair

I’ve been cutting my own hair for more than two decades now. It took me a while to figure out how to hold a mirror in one hand (while facing away from the wall-mounted mirror behind me) and the clippers in the other so as to cut the hair at the back of my head in an appealing fashion. Initially, my brain would move one hand or the other in the wrong direction, resulting in a choppy fade-line.

Now, however, I’ve trained the synapses so well that this type of maneuver comes naturally. Averaging a haircut every two weeks at a cost of about 15 dollars each time, I’ve saved nearly nine thousand dollars by cutting my own hair. I know I did a good job if no one comments on the fact that I got a haircut. This means that the new ‘do isn’t a glaring and apparent failure.

Just yesterday, I purchased a new set of battery-powered clippers to replace the last one I bought, five years ago. The old clippers had been jamming, their cutting faces apparently too worn down. The new clippers turned out to be a waste of 14 dollars. I dug the old model out of the trash, oiled it from the small bottle of lubricant that came with the newer model, and fixed the damage I’d wrought trying to cut the thick hairs at the back of my head using a cheap device apparently designed to tackle the facial stubble of a prepubescent female teenager. Caveat emptor.

americanifesto / JPR / whorphan / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment