13 December 2013

on creature comforts

Heat has been on my mind lately – how to make and store quickly and efficiently. Promptly with the arrival of a frigid winter my furnace stopped working; I now heat using wood. A well-stoked and roaring fire warms well the space in the house I have partitioned off so long as I am there to stoke it and keep it roaring; when, however, I get back after work, the temperature inside is in the mid 40s, so cold that I have trouble typing. My knuckles have cracked from wind and cold; I cover them with hydrogen peroxide and Eucerin lotion at night and with a protective cream during the day, but still they sting and bleed. It would be OK to have the furnace going, but then I would likely become lazy and stop making wood fires and leave it on during the day and burn through all my oil and have to order more and pay an arm and a leg for it. So, for now, I adjust to the realities at hand, haul and load logs, and rejoice in the fact that, although I am cold, I am still alive. Huzzah.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment