18 December 2013

on seeking cover

For nearly five years now, during some of the most prime years of my life, I have been living in a rural backwater of a town in south-central Pennsylvania. Ostensibly, I relocated to this spot to care for a piece of family property located here, but in reality I came here in hopes of weathering the storm of the World Financial Crises and hiding from the brutish realities of human existence. Of the many things I have learned during my time here the first is that the only place one can hide from life is in death, and the second is that life is best lived in a place where one feels comfortable, welcomed, and at home. Of all the places on this planet California best meets these criteria; I yearn for her vast and sun-drenched soils; I think of her almost daily and fantasize about once again living among her peoples. Therefore, it is time for me to pony up and get the fuck out of dodge, leave this place for good, sell the land, burn the bridges, and ride off toward the sunset with nary a backward glance. Where I currently live, Happiness is a luxury maintained only by persons with extreme wealth or steadfast discipline, and while I do not have the former I am learning the latter, getting better at it one day at a time. The time has come, then, for me to leave the lair I have built for myself here, to bid farewell to a handful of friends, and to venture once more out into the world, joyful as a hero to victory. Wish me luck, please, and mahalo.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment