22 January 2014

on building backlog

For years I have been writing and posting to this and my other blogs, scrutinizing readership numbers and trying to figure out how to get more people to read. Interpreting the data it seems that I am writing about things other than those the average Internet user is interested in; a shitty piece about something lame and inconsequential will be viewed nearly as many times as one about something interesting and fun. Things are as Strunk & White warned they would be – rather than bowing social pressure and writing what people want to read I write what I want to read, what I find worthwhile, building up a reservoir of material for future readers to tap into and exploring issues I enjoy personally. History is replete with examples of artists discovered not in the prime of creativity but in its nadir, as their stars are fizzling and talent is rusting out. Huzzah.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment