20 January 2014

on mending pipe

In my rush to flee this town I forgot to shut off the house's well-pump and drain its pipes. There, then, I bobbed in the Pacific Ocean, paddling for and surfing waves, while back East copper pipes were splitting open from the inside and spewing their waters indiscriminately onto carpet and tile and substrate wood flooring. It was not in fact until I had added a week to my stay in Los Angeles that I asked a friend to enter my home and cut power to the machines I had mistakenly left on. Fortunately, the areas that flooded contained nothing irreplaceable, fragile, or perishable; the only items soaked through were some cloth bags full of paper goods for recycling and a sleeve of steel scrubbing brushes that I had been storing under the kitchen sink. With a few dozen turns of a friend's pipe cutting tool and $35 worth of compression fittings and polyurethane tubing I was able to mend the torn sections of pipe so thoroughly that I can now flush my toilet, take a shower, and hand-wash the dishes with nary a wayward drip, drop, or leak. Thanks for coming, vortex polar, please return back to your cap, cold aplenty we are used to just not your relentless snap.

© americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments:

Post a Comment